Interruptions can be a real pain when you’re trying to get on with the real work or the sort which requires concentration.
Here are a few ideas of how you can reduce, or at least manage, your interruptions:
- Calendly is my best friend. Linked to my diary people can book phone calls at a convenient time. No more of those emails backwards and forwards trying to find when everybody’s diaries are free. The first tier of Calendly is free.
- If you have a PA or receptionist then give them clear instructions for managing your phone calls
- If you’re on your own then invest in an answering service. We use Answer IT who will either take messages or put through calls like your own receptionist. They can even manage your diary. You can divert your phones to them whenever you need to focus.
- Turn off your notifications or leave your phone in another room. Yes, I know you’ve been told before but actually do it please.
- A default diary makes it much easier to control your week. I block time out when I need intense concentration.
- If you have a team then an open/closed door can be a good indicator of when they can and can’t interrupt you
Try one or two of these suggestions and let me know how you get on.